Thread: Our Greatest XI, time to do it again?

Default Our Greatest XI, time to do it again?

Walking up to the game yesterday and the banner above the megastore got me thinking about our greatest team as voted by fans, ironically the banner in the broomie had them on it as well (cracking banner btw but that's for another thread)

If we were to take a revote what changes would we see?

The ones that jumped out to me were Hateley and Butcher, no doubting they were top players but would they get in the team again?

Woodbun
    Young
    Caldow
    Forrest
    Brand
    Millar
    Stein
    Wilson

All didn't get a look in

Also the work the founders trail boys have done since this vote happened have encocered the influence that the likes of Tom Vallance had at our club

What's your thoughts bears?

2. Default Re: Our Greatest XI, time to do it again?

The bulk of supporters would opt for a similar 'greatest ever' team. People voted back then with memories of what they saw with their own eyes. I think it was 'greatest post war team' if memory serves me right

The vote was just after NIAR and Goram, Gough, Butcher, Hately, McCoist, Gazza, Cooper and Laudrup were still fresh in the minds.

Only Barry Ferguson and Davie Weir since then has since got anywhere near that level of talent.

Back then people decided Goram was better than Brown, Ritchie, Woods and Klos. I cant see that changing now

Back then people thought Butcher was a better choice than Young, McKinnon, Woodburn. Maybe Davie Weir would make the team if it was re-done?

People thought Cooper was better than Henderson, Bud, Scott, Waddell etc But Cooper had passed away not long before. So maybe an emotional choice?

Hately got the nod ahead of DJ, Stein, Forrest, Miller, Brand etc

I doubt Jardine, Greig, Baxter, McCoist, Laudrup or Gazza would move from the list if it was done again. Easily the best players we have ever had post war

Blog Entries

Default Re: Our Greatest XI, time to do it again?

The problem is no one who will vote has saw the likes of Alan Morton or Bob McPhail play so people will vote only for players they have witnessed in the flesh.
    The likes of my dad who is late 70s would have Brand and Millar before Hateley and McCoist.

You are really advocating them getting taken out because of how they have acted off the park rather than them being voted for what they done on it.

I cringe every time I see Butcher's name or image in relation to it tbh.

An absolute wank stain.

Blog Entries

There is a problem with doing a genuine all-time XI as no-one alive has seen all the players. Was Neilly Gibson one of our greatest-ever players? Maybe, but how could anyone be sure?

You could limit it to (say) the last 50 years but personally I don't think it's worth re-doing at the moment.

People will vote mainly for who they watched live winning trophies.
    I doubt the team would be much different if voted for now

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ger View Post

An absolute wank stain.
    ...but a great centre back.

9. Default Re: Our Greatest XI, time to do it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ger View Post

An absolute wank stain.
    An embarrassment to think he captained our club