Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Herrera

1. Default Re: Herrera

I'll judge him when a balls delivered into the box and he's got an opportunity at goal.

In all the games (which is very little) he's played, we've set up him up once or twice. That's no use. Punting balls, asking him to do his work 20/25 yards from goal is no use.

For a team with the players we have and money spent, we simply don't create enough chances for our strikers and when we do, it usually lands at Miller who ****s it up.

Default Re: Herrera

Why bother signing players who take time to settle, why not go and get players who can hit the ground running?

3. Default Re: Herrera

Quote Originally Posted by yarrumdavid01 View Post
    Why bother signing players who take time to settle, why not go and get players who can hit the ground running?
    No signing is guaranteed to hit the ground running.

True but the Scottish and European players seem settled and contributing.

Daft Q but how many South Americans have played inScitland and been a stand out?

We had Rozental and the unwashed had Rafael and some other Brazilian - all were rubbish.

Against Motherwell his partner spent the entire match 30-40 yards from him, in midfield, looking for scraps. He would have scored if Windass had squared when he hit the post (checked his run perfectly to leave himself wide open 4 yards out, cant blame Windass for having a dig tbf) and he did ok in spells. Yesterday he came on with us chasing the game and a man down, and was faced with 2 centre backs who are good in the air and a bombardment of long balls punted from our own box roughly in his general direction.

It is way too early to make any kind of judgement on him anyway, but especially after yesterday, we have no other option than hoping he works out. He clearly has something about him to gain international caps for Mexico.
    Last edited by Northampton_loyalist; 1 Week Ago at 08:00.

I think the guy needs some time. He battled away yesterday with no service whatsoever, it was a thankless task.

However, my initial thoughts are he looks like a centre half we've shoved up front.

He looks as mobile as James Beattie was for us.Early days but I don't see it with him at all.

Although the early signs don't look good, it's impossible to judge him until we've seen him have a run of games with a striking partner, not Kenny Miller who plays 30 yards behind him.
    "I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful – a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild."

Quote Originally Posted by willie w View Post
    Ryan Hardie should be on the bench for games like this.
    Hardie is nowhere near good enough

Struggled for a regular game at Raith last year ffs

suramericaranger is offline anyone in marketing or advertising...kill yourself

He looks really really poor.

Painfully slow, real lack of quality and not much about him physically. He doesn't look like he will score many either.

Pedro's awful tactic of lumping a ball to him when he was near nobody clearly didn't help.

He is a cross between dave McPherson and egil ostenstad. No hope for him at all

Herrera needs time and he could do with decent service and someone playing beside him not 40 yards away. We aren't playing to his strengths.
    Last edited by Coplandbear_1872; 1 Week Ago at 10:24.

The early signs are not good for him to be honest. I think people are clinging on to any positive with him in the hope he turns in to something. Morelos looks ten times the threat he is.

Quote Originally Posted by yarrumdavid01 View Post
    What an utterly ridiculous question

Why don't you give Pedro and the DoF a wee shot of your crystal ball that tells you exactly what players will get off to a flyer

Got to admit he's not looking to good but still early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Northampton_loyalist View Post
    Against Motherwell his partner spent the entire match 30-40 yards from him, in midfield, looking for scraps. He would have scored if Windass had squared when he hit the post (checked his run perfectly to leave himself wide open 4 yards out, cant blame Windass for having a dig tbf) and he did ok in spells. Yesterday he came on with us chasing the game and a man down, and was faced with 2 centre backs who are good in the air and a bombardment of long balls punted from our own box roughly in his general direction.

It is way too early to make any kind of judgement on him anyway, but especially after yesterday, we have no other option than hoping he works out. He clearly has something about him to gain international caps for Mexico.
    I agree with this but I think the fundamental issue is that is how Pedro wanted us to play that game.

I think the ball is supposed to go to Herrera and stick and it doesn't. Celtic play something not too dissimilar but their 2 strikers either have the attributes to hold it up or take it and run. Herrera doesn't. Why he was played like that is a mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacrispy View Post

Why don't you give Pedro and the DoF a wee shot of your crystal ball that tells you exactly what players will get off to a flyer
    I think it's fair to say Jack and Dorrans settled in quick. I don't think Herrera is struggling to settle I think he is being asked to do something he can't do I don't see him in a month being a player who can play an isolated role.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacrispy View Post

You can usually have a pretty good idea about how certain guys will adapt. Pena and Herrera are two guys in their late twenties who have never played or lived outwith Mexico, and they were hardly setting that league alight. Herrera's goal record is diabolical at every club he's ever been at and when he signed most Mexican people on Reddit/Twitter were astonished we would want him.

Then there's Pena, a guy who's blown his career in his home country because his fondness for alcohol and nightlife. He's now in a country where he doesn't know anyone and he'll inevitably get bored, so it's not a surprise to see him lapse back into those bad habits already.

It didn't take a crystal ball to work out that these guys are already living up to the negative stories we were told about them before they signed. The fact Pedro has spent in excess of £4m on the pair of them is utterly criminal.

Morelos was written off a couple weeks ago, let's maybe wait more than 2 games into the season.

I thought he won a lot of his balls but no one was near him to benefit