Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 95

Thread: Herrera

  1. #26

    Default Re: Herrera

    Let's be honest, if we are to put in any sort of challenge for the league, we need Herrera to be a massive upgrade on Garner, and to be one of the best strikers in the league. The early signs aren't really pointing to that being the case.

  2. #27

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by DylanGer View Post
    We did.....................it didn't look great.
    It didn't but probably would be fair to accurately judge them together, when we have eleven players on the field, aren't chasing the game and the game is officiated by a ref who might give at least a few decisions in our favour.

    Herrera worked hard when he came on but it was a forlorn task. His bit of play around the halfway line should have seen McGeouch off the pitch but...
    Last edited by Leo_Ger; 1 Week Ago at 21:01.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    29-07-2006
    Posts
    23,754

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Duncan Ferguson View Post
    Morelos looked gassed second half.
    I'm guessing both you and I would have hooked him at half time for a variety of reasons but I get the fact Pedro was trying to attack just didn't get the way he did it.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    29-07-2006
    Posts
    23,754

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ger View Post
    It didn't but probably would be fair to accurately judge them together, when we have eleven players on the field, aren't chasing the game and the game is officiated by a ref who might give at least a few decisions in our favour.

    Herrera worked hard when he came on but it was a forlorn task. His bit of play around the halfway line should have seen McGeough off the pitch but...
    Herrera looks a very honest hard working player-puts in a lot of donkey work-I have no issues with that at all. Unfortunately at Rangers you need a lot more to succeed-if you are playing as a focal point as Pedro has done with him then you need to be exceptionally good because it's not easy. I agree McGeoch should have went....in the first half and that was the chance for the ref to square it up-he didn't.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    29-07-2006
    Posts
    9,763

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by clubdeckg View Post
    Reiminds me of the Joe Garner threads, he tried hard also!

    Garner was an aerial threat who harried the opposition for 90 mins.

    It seems we've punted him for someone physically bigger who offers none of the same physicality.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    29-07-2006
    Posts
    9,763

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Duncan Ferguson View Post
    Felt sorry for him. Ball punted long every time and he was up against two centre halves with no support within 30 yards of him.

    As for Murray ? He ran us fuc.king ragged today.

    If Garner was 'Gordon Durie mk II', where do you put Herrera?

  7. #32
    Join Date
    28-07-2006
    Posts
    52,512

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by DylanGer View Post
    I'm guessing both you and I would have hooked him at half time for a variety of reasons but I get the fact Pedro was trying to attack just didn't get the way he did it.
    The formation Pedro went to made sense. The personnel didn't.

    For me the changes needed to be - Rossiter for Morelos, Wilson for Hodson and possibly Pena for Candeias.

    Putting Herrera on and leaving him isolated made zero sense. Miller in midfield just utterly mystifies me.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    29-07-2006
    Posts
    23,754

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Glorious_12th View Post
    Garner was an aerial threat who harried the opposition for 90 mins.

    It seems we've punted him for someone physically bigger who offers none of the same physicality.
    I think Garner's aerial ability and physicality was overrated-hence him getting flattened against Celtic-but he was an annoying wee buzz bomb at times.
    Herrera for being bigger doesn't cause as much of a rammy but he isn't on his arse as often as Garner.

    Time will tell if Herrera has more in his locker.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    14-08-2008
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,071

    Default Re: Herrera

    Early days but the signs dont look good at all. Certainly isnt going to bang in 20 goals this season thats for sure.

    It feels like we have got rid of garner and replaced him with a slightly bigger like for like player.

    Currently performances have been reflective of a journeyman spl striker who relies on physicality.

    I stick by my view that we would have been better buying moult. However like i said, its very early on so hopefully he settles and improves

  10. #35

    Default Re: Herrera

    We are all skirting around the issue, he has been very poor so far, the problem is when we give an honest opinion we get castigated by the give him time mob, the fact is we are quickly approaching the no more time point , if we are to stop them getting 10 in a row, it may not matter to younger bears, but I can tell you it really matters to me and all my family.

  11. Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Glorious_12th View Post
    Garner was an aerial threat who harried the opposition for 90 mins.

    It seems we've punted him for someone physically bigger who offers none of the same physicality.
    We talked about this during the second half, it's like a shite Garner. Perhaps really unfair but he can't run and has no mobility. You need real skill with a ball at your feet with no pace. He isn't that either.

    Murray was miles ahead of any rangers player on the pitch, he destroyed our back two and tore them all over the park. It's hard to take in

  12. #37
    Join Date
    20-06-2017
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: Herrera

    1.5 for a striker in this league should guarantee you 20 goals a season.

    He just looks slow and clumsy right now...Hopefully a goal next week sets him off on a run

  13. #38
    Join Date
    31-07-2006
    Location
    Cambuslang
    Posts
    13,775
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Herrera

    Slow and ponderous looking. In saying that nobody running off him.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    17-11-2006
    Location
    Copland front 2
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Herrera

    Hopeless punts up to him that he had no chance of winning. The ones he did win there was no one near him.

  15. Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Duncan Ferguson View Post
    The formation Pedro went to made sense. The personnel didn't.

    For me the changes needed to be - Rossiter for Morelos, Wilson for Hodson and possibly Pena for Candeias.

    Putting Herrera on and leaving him isolated made zero sense. Miller in midfield just utterly mystifies me.
    From Pedro view point it did. We had to start competing in midfield again and needed rossiter immediately. However Pedros comfort tactic is to give up midfield control for the long ball and 2nd ball pick up.

    Pena I can't understand, at least Niko offers something

  16. #41
    Join Date
    28-07-2006
    Location
    Copland Rear
    Posts
    2,348

    Default Re: Herrera

    No harm to the big guy but if we're gonna play that way give me Joe Garner all day long,relished a battle in the air.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    09-11-2006
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    8,542

    Default Re: Herrera

    He won a few headers but no one was there to support him. We will see how he gets on.

  18. #43

    Default Re: Herrera

    We had Waghorn, Garner and now Herrera. Maybe we should learn how to feed a striker properly instead of blaming the striker because he's not crossing the ball to himself and scoring.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    29-07-2006
    Posts
    9,763

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by DylanGer View Post
    I think Garner's aerial ability and physicality was overrated-hence him getting flattened against Celtic-but he was an annoying wee buzz bomb at times.
    Herrera for being bigger doesn't cause as much of a rammy but he isn't on his arse as often as Garner.

    Time will tell if Herrera has more in his locker.
    I can't agree with regards Garner's ability in the air.

    I've not seen many better than him at Ibrox...ever.

    He simply didn't lose in the air. No matter the size of opposition. Seems ideally suited to the type of play we're going for which makes his release (and replacement) all the more confusing.

  20. #45

    Default Re: Herrera

    We have to realise we paid 1.5 million for this guy, he should be 20 goals per season plus, on the evidence so far I would be surprised if he scored 15, that would be a criminal waste of money in my book.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    28-07-2006
    Posts
    52,512

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Glorious_12th View Post
    If Garner was 'Gordon Durie mk II', where do you put Herrera?
    Derek Johnstone mk II.

    Derek Johnstone 1986.

  22. #47

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutton_Blows_g0ats View Post
    The hibs striker gingeylocks looked a much better player, a freebie from scottish division 1. Looks better than a guy with caps for Mexico. Mad.
    Said that in the match thread mate, gave us problems all day.

  23. #48

    Default Re: Herrera

    Keep the powder dry, lads. Way, way too early to make any judgements on the new guys yet.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    29-07-2006
    Posts
    9,763

    Default Re: Herrera

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Duncan Ferguson View Post
    Derek Johnstone mk II.

    Derek Johnstone 1986.

    On the evidence presented so far I expect we'll see a similar goals return.

  25. Default Re: Herrera

    He'd have buried the chance Miller missed at 1-0.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •