Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Despite A Number Of Signings, We Still Have Some Glaring Flaws

Default Despite A Number Of Signings, We Still Have Some Glaring Flaws

We have had a busy summer and whilst we have addressed some areas, I think we haven't done enough to improve weak points that were already showing last season.

Wallace/Hodson are two players that the opposition often target. The amount of times you see teams attempt crosses or 1 v 1 situations down our left side is frightening. It's every week we see that side of the pitch become an area where crosses are peppered into our box. Both are also unbelievably wasteful with he ball. We badly need a left back and the fact one was never on the target list in the summer worries me.

Kenny Miller continues to, in y opinion, pull the wool over everyone's eyes with a goal once every 4 or 5 weeks. We have bog standard SPFL strikers with better strike rates than him and his overall game is deplorable at this level. It's headless chicken stuff but from a 37 year old. Yet another player who will give away possession for fun and his conversion rate with chances, often big chances, is pathetic. These are chances average strikers in this league will gobble up for fun yet he makes a total arse of them.

We are also crying out for another centre back. Danny Wilson's attitude to being a footballer for Rangers stinks. He will actively pull out of 50/50 challenges, he will always take the last and easy way out and any form of ambition or desire to be the best he can be has clearly gone completely from him. He is coasting and his performance against Celtic last season when they pulled our pants down on our our patch was one of the worst individual displays I have ever seen. We need someone to challenge and cover for Cardoso and Alves.

Furthermore we need an athletic central midfield player. Jack, Dorrans and Rossiter are all very similar in size and physicality. They are all tidy enough players but not one of them would be described as quick or powerful. You need players like in this league and if you don't have legs and some muscle in the action area, you will get the run around which we witnessed yet again today. We have upgraded on Holt and Toral for example in terms of footballing ability but in terms of physical flaws, the same frailties apply.

We need a left back, centre back and a striker.

The manager has a lot to prove, especially in the big games where his record has been pathetic so far.

Default Re: Despite A Number Of Signings, We Still Have Some Glaring Flaws

We were never going to sort out all of our problems in 1 transfer window

The motherwell team we struggled against last week got pumped by St Johnstone

4. Default Re: Despite A Number Of Signings, We Still Have Some Glaring Flaws

When you spend 4m plus, most of our budget on two players who have been utterly useless so far. Something is fundementally wrong. Herrera looks like an average spl warhorse upfront with zero pace or mobility, I'm not even going to mention Pena.

Pedro doesn't have a lot to prove. He's proved an unmitigated disaster thus far from every single question asked. It's about him turning it around before the season is over by September end.

Today was a huge test of the significant investment from the board and his new team. As always under him, we flunked helped by an utter **** of a ref.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton_Blows_g0ats View Post
    They were down to 8 men to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton_Blows_g0ats View Post
    The Motherwell team that had 3 men sent off?

Some of the replies tonight have been sitting saved on the desktop for months.

Completely ****ed over by the officials and we go on the attack against our own.

Reprehensible.

8. Default Re: Despite A Number Of Signings, We Still Have Some Glaring Flaws

We've still got a garbage manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Fine View Post
    This ........

Quote Originally Posted by smkz23 View Post
    They were down to 8 men to be fair.
    Must have thought they could have gotten away with the same as last week .

Moult should have been off for a start .

Seems that kind of leniency is reserved only for games against us.

I'm glad Hibs didn't attack Hodson more as they targeted Tav all game, everything was down our right. Hodson has let us down too many times now and shouldn't play again. The way he let the guy run last him at the second goal was a disgrace

You can't judge shit with that today when the ref is in the oppositions pocket. We were doing just fine until we lost a player.

It was going to be a tough game 11 v 11 so we were right up against it when a man short.

Quote Originally Posted by Standards1972 View Post

Completely ****ed over by the officials and we go on the attack against our own.

Reprehensible.
    The fact is the manager has done little to convince a skeptical fanbase he's the answer.

Everyone wants him to suceed, some are being completely blind though. I remember after winning a friendly in Sheffield, people gloating "Where are the Pedro haters now?".

After two wins this week on top of those friendlies we allowed ourselves to go into overdrive again. I started to believe the hype myself, dared to believe we might be onto something. Thats why today is such a kick in the bollocks....we're three points behind Celtic already - who will put their hand up and honestly say they expect that gap to be overhauled?

We're in a dogfight for 2nd again and playing catch up. Rome wasn't built in a day but we need to see progress and we need it fast. All of us praying for Pedro to succeed doesn't change the start reality - this has been a catastrophic 6 months, multiple humbling results and disasters.

I hope I'm wrong but i think by the end of September there will be a gaping chasm in the league that makes disenting voices become the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Its-Sebo View Post
    The Motherwell team that had 3 men sent off?
    they were being beaten before that to be fair

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Nose Bear View Post
    You can't judge shit with that today when the ref is in the oppositions pocket. We were doing just fine until we lost a player.

It was going to be a tough game 11 v 11 so we were right up against it when a man short.
    I disagree, We had a brilliant start but Hibs had come right back into it and were starting to look the better side by the time they equalised.

16. Default Re: Despite A Number Of Signings, We Still Have Some Glaring Flaws

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Matchday two and we were cheated. Let's see how we react.

Pedro Caixinha needs time and of course, there are still weak areas but you can't address that in one window.

But a few days ago we were world beaters.

1) We can't keep swinging from utter joy to utter despair.

2) It takes time to gel a team and for individuals to define how good they are-was anybody expecting Cardoso to play like that today? I wasn't but I do remember Kiernan being described after a good spell as the best defender in Scotland-we never learn.

3) The manager has a history of issues-that's just a fact-today again when we required a bit of organisation due to no fault of his own but he didn't deliver. Not expecting him to win the game just make it tougher than he did.

Sadly I think the problems come from the top-they have a very critical audience to keep happy and we've shown no consistency of thought on the rebuild job-from Warburton to Pedro is a big leap-to invest heavily in unknown markets is a big leap.

You can sense from the reaction at the stadium from utter jubilation at the start of the game and a massive atmosphere before to the moments where the stands started to turn on the players-you could see Pena rather than excitement at him appearing there is already a strong train of thought we've bought George Best without the talent.

Pedro and the team needs some time but it would be a brave man even if he has a good/decent season stating that Pedro is the man to put us back on top. I don't see him doing this job stage by stage because he doesn't look to have the talent to organise and reorganise a team. I'm sorry to say but with the money we decided to invest in the team we should have kept it a lot more local than we did.

We've got to dig in but I'm already getting the vibe from Pedro he's in an arena different from anything he has ever faced. He's going to need to dig deep and he is going to need a bit of luck along the way-he didn't get a shred today but that's football.

Still no reason we can't make second but every reason to doubt as always that's not enough.

Reprehensible.
    Absolutely correct.

Blog Entries

Reprehensible.
    Totally agree mate

We would have won the game if the ref done his job correctly stokes should have been off after ten minutes when we were a goal up

It's corruption plain and simple

Blog Entries

IF it get close to eight or nine in a row for the yahoo's then we will finally have to pick a manager and give hime three years and half a dozen transfer windows.

We have already revised our opinion of Warburton and Pedro's goodwill has all but evaporated.

We'll probably get 2nd and we'll be 15-20 points short and we might nick one of the cups but probably not both.

What then - do we rip up the whole squad for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Pedro can't change all 11 players at once. He identified that the GK and full-backs were the least worst in terms of prioritising replacements.

He clearly values effort in training. this sounds perfectly reasonable.

His first transfer window isn't even over and his own credibility is almost beyond repair.

Eventually we will have to give someone time. 6 months and one window to run them close is so unrealistic.
    Last edited by stevesnedden; 1 Week Ago at 21:48.

People can continue to stick their heads in the sand but i think its fair to say there is valid question marks against his ability on the current evidence.

Needs time and a solid judgement should be given after c10 games though. However currently cant be confident we will be in a satisfactory position come 10 games into the season

Difficult to make any judgement on today's game because it was so raw and the referee was so biased towards hibs . The concern for me was that we allowed hibs to control the midfield before the equaliser, the lad up front for them broke behind out defenders far to easily and that is concerning, are Jack and Dorrans good enough or strong enough to play against a midfield 3 today it wasn't working but it's something that we can't yet really answer because the ref decided to punish Rangers and allow Hibs players to get away with things that Rangers got punished for. I like Pedro and hope he finds the answers for our team , I'm just concerned that our 4-4-2 is not strong enough to control enough of games that are tight.

Funny how the Op was nowhere to be seen Sunday or Wednesday!
    Fu.ck the biased and corrupt SFA!

Quote Originally Posted by Another Fine View Post
    This^^^^^^

The point is though that Pedro played his cards a certain a way-the fans bought totally into the mantra that last season was down to players simply not up to the job at Rangers. I understand aspects of that but never totally agreed if we were rebuilding it was that simple especially at the budget Warburton got.

However let's buy into that notion and I would say there are two major problems Pedro needs to overcome if he is to survive and flourish as Rangers manager.

1) Tactical ability-team set up and adapting during a game. We've not seen that from him.

2) Prove that the players he has brought in are noticeably better than those he got rid of. In some cases I'd be inclined to say yup that's probably the case but in quite a few others I fear it isn't the case. And he's been quite ruthless on that front so it's a big factor.