Thread: Returning ex-players

1. Default Returning ex-players

I don't get why we have to constantly fawn over the possible return of ex-players. I cant think of any other clubs that have so many players returning or being linked with returning to them as we do.

Miller, Boyd, Naismith, Lafferty, Weiss, even whittaker was mentioned. These are just the ones from the past couple of years (many more i have forgotten im sure).

I know we are not cash rich right now and most of these players would improve us, but none would bring future fees when transferred. We need to get out of this "bring them home" mentality. There are players out there for nominal fees who would improve us and net a decent fee in a few years, we just need to find them and trust Pedro to do so.

Under very limited circumstances should any ex-player be brought back to the club, I think it shows weakness and lacks ambition. We wont take a chance on this guy, but since we know what we will get with this (poorer) player then we will go for him.

Not the mentality i want us to have and we wont unearth any gems by going down this route.

Vlad - You are one of the very few exceptions, you were never OUR player and will go for a few million more if we sold you in 2-3 years time.

Otherwise, lets leave the past in the past and look at the future

Default Re: Returning ex-players

Ex player or not if they improve us, we should be at least having a look at them. What we should not be doing is just ignoring every ex player.

What nominal players out there who would improve us are you talking about?

You do realise we don't have the pull we had in the past guys like Cummings could go to Leeds Utd and earn 2 or 3 times what Rangers would pay.
    Sure Naismith and Lafferty might not have a sell on value but they have played with us before and would maybe come back, players of that quality who dont have a connection to Rangers sadly will not be coming to us,but staying south of the border.

These players have proven the jersey isn't too big for them and they can handle the pressure of having to win every week. Unknown players are a risk in that sense.

Guess what the vast majority of us are just average football fans and dont have a vast knowledge of 23/24 year old who would improve us and be sold on for a profit.

So we talk about ex players who we can give a reasonably knowledgeable opinion of.
    That and a heavy dollop of nostalgia for better times.

Give us your list of players and 10 mins to look at youtube and wiki and we will give you an opinion. 😀

And what are the alternatives? Go for "up and coming" talents like stevie Mallon at st mirren?
    We've did that gig before in buying lower league players like Martyn Rankrotten, Windass etc who've shown why they were lower league players

Blog Entries

If they improve us I couldn't care less.

Weiss and Naismith would definitely improve us, I'm normally against it but in the state we are in Naismith on a free is a no brainer.

I think the old saying "You should never go back" was coined by Derek Johnstone purely because he was shite in his second spell.

Plenty people have been successes returning to their old stomping ground.

Kenny has done it twice, Trevor Steven did ok and theres been plenty others across the footballing world.

Not many clubs have lost their entire squad like we did. If the players had played out their contracts or were sold and replaced as the squad evolved as happens in normal circumstances we wouldn't be looking at them.

11. Default Re: Returning ex-players

If they improve our squad then they are welcome back.

Seems like it is the in thing on here to slate any players coming back. Guys like Weiss and Naismith are still in their prime.

Who would you rather see line up to start next season? Naismith or Windass?

The worry I have is what kind of level of performance will we get from them? Are we excited about the name, or what the player is capable of giving us now?

Quote Originally Posted by Rae_Bear View Post
    And what are the alternatives? Go for "up and coming" talents like stevie Mallon at st mirren?
    We've did that gig before in buying lower league players like Martyn Rankrotten, Windass etc who've shown why they were lower league players
    Someone else mentions having a fixed squad that is experienced thing is any player just needs to look good for a year to be sold on for a profit

Even the majority of players in this team with the right spine the right tactics could be sold on for profit

The issue is we had our team ripped from us and instead of building a squad from the bottom up that just had to be supplemented with a little more quality as we progressed

As for players with us that go elsewhere and come back its generally because they have went to similar level or higher for more money when they have made it they want to come back not just for money but move home and ultimately if the majority in this league will still do well

Naismith as an example is a standard above anything we could afford buying and better than what we could potentially get from a player to move on right now instant results matter - they shouldn't but we missed that boat coming through the leagues

Even take Barry Ferguson when he came back he was head and shoulders above every other midfielder in Scotland and up until he got his knee injury at Blackburn he was performing well above the rest of that team as well

Our players that leave and come back were generally of a higher quality than we could have got in Scotland its really just as simple as that

What I can't wrap my head around is to go back for players who didn't even leave amicably.

Folk who spat in our face and kicked us when we were down, yet folk are willing to bend over and give them the opportunity to do it to us again.

Once bitten, twice shy is not a phrase familiar to the wider Rangers support.

We're like a battered wife always willing to give her man one last chance..."as long as he's sorry and promises it won't happen again."

Simply, we don't have alot of cash and can't afford more mistakes and too many modern players don't have the mental strength to play in front of our volatile crowd. Guys like Alan Hutton, Naismith, Lafferty are all available on bosmans this summer, know the pressures up here and are safe bets. Add to that players like Christophe Berra, Callum Paterson and Liam Lindsay and you have guys who know the game up here regardless of opinion of ability. Next summer Kenny McLean, Jamie Walker and Stuart Dallas are out of contract, younger, Rangers fans with potential for profit.

Walter Smith built teams on guys like this.

Happens all the time. Ronaldo has been linked going back to Man U from day one nearly.

With us we might be able to get players normally outwith our wage bracket, like Naismith, because of the lure of the badge so I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal Bear 72 View Post
    Happens all the time. Ronaldo has been linked going back to Man U from day one nearly.

With us we might be able to get players normally outwith our wage bracket, like Naismith, because of the lure of the badge so I am all for it.

The badge of the club he said he didn't feel any loyalty to as they ceased to exist.

I'll pass, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glorious_12th View Post
    The badge of the club he said he didn't feel any loyalty to as they ceased to exist.

I'll pass, thanks.
    At last the voice of reason. I'm with you on this one mate.

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfc_51 View Post
    If they improve us I couldn't care less.
    This for me. Besides the manager makes the decisions so the rest is just lazy press speculation. We havent had very many players return. Those who have (Miller and Ferguson) have done well

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphi View Post
    This for me. Besides the manager makes the decisions so the rest is just lazy press speculation. We havent had very many players return. Those who have (Miller and Ferguson) have done well
    I remember folk making the same impassioned arguments for Boyd and Foster too.

I'd rather we won just 1 league title before we worry about sell on value, anyone agree?